Monday, August 14, 2006

59 years on...

Honestly, I just started feeling excitement infuse in me this evening when my eyes fell on the latest issue of India Today and Outlook.

I’m one of those people who would never admit how much they hate the criticism directed at their country. I’m one of those people who strive to be genuinely open to all sorts of opinions without an element of prejudiced outlook but whose heart leaps with pleasure on the positive note and shrinks with discontentment on giving ears to a derogatory remark about their country. In short, I’m proud, egoistic, eccentric, pompous and all that when it comes to my country. I love my country and I’m too conceited to admit that it’s actually not all that good, that in reality, I don’t think there’s anything wrong in looking to the rest of the world for acknowledgement and appreciation, that even 59 years hence, Amartya Sen finds it hard not to feel frustrated about India for problems that he had grumbled about in the 50’s still persists on a large scale. You get the point. Right.

In keeping with the above, I wanted to bombard Ayaz Amir with hate letters when he audaciously enough wrote that Indians had an uncanny habit of blaming Pakistan for everything and that Pakistan had a policy of unilateral concessions to India!! Now he also went on to say, “Pakistanis wish India well. Only the official-level vibes irk them.” I just have one line for him, dude, the feeling is mutual.
I might have just sounded a little rough. Not that I have anything against Pakistan but I guess there’s one thing I agree with Mr. Amir on. After all, we do tend to frown on the very sound of the Kashmir issue.

And just incase you feel like giving a look to the positive aspects of our country, I leave you with this link.

Jai hind.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! For a moment I could hardly believe this was written by you! :P

Well I am proud of my country and I love the land too...but what I find hard to understand - is the fact that for most people its things like "Pakistan" "Kashmir" "Terrorism" that bring out the feeling of patriotism! Why is it that the mention of these things we are all suddenly Indians and at other times - Biharis, Madrasis, Bombayites etc

????

2:08 PM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger Shubhi said...

great post.. i believe any indian wuld feel the same,
It is sad, true alex, yet i believe if any1 of us criticizes a punjabi we'd laff along. yet if a foreigner duz ht we wud jump his throat.

2:08 AM, August 15, 2006  
Blogger Akanksha said...

ahem ahem...

Coming to the point, you know I don't mind if onli a few things r able to bring out the patriotism in our hearts cause at the end of the day, those things are a reminder to us of our "innate" love for the country.

Also, as u pointed out, it's sad to see ppl classify others like that. On a lighter note, it completely destroys the purpose of single citizenship.

5:34 AM, August 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home