Thursday, June 16, 2005

The wind screamed that day
As if demanding something,
that it had already taken along.
I stood wondering as a 9 year old,
waiting to be relieved of some unknown power.
The field lay open for me to run.
The fence was laid down.
I saw my teachers in a corner,
Shouting to us for attention,
with angry frowns.
It was the same place where
I had stood with my only friend,
two years back.
I found the tree which had once,
rumored to be haunted.
As I slipped towards it,
memories brought back those years
when she had been there.
We had held hands and fought those rumors.
We had played together for hours.
I remembered that picnic day,
as my bag waited to be opened
I assumed that tree to shelter me,
wondering if I could get her company
in exchange of the treat that awaited me.

The rain poured down,
Reminding me of the day we had cried.
She had to go, she had told me.
She had to change her home,
leaving me behind.
I stood up, ready to go back,
as the teachers waved their hands,
my eyes still heavy with memories.
The rain, shamefully hiding away
the tears trickling down my face.
That day I went back home
and dialed her number.
I was told she was coming to visit me.
I changed into casuals and got her some chocolates.
I knew she loved them and
I hoped she would be happy.
When she came, she sat down crying.
A horrible fear conquered me.
Her father had died.

13 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

PLZ>>>>>LEMME MAKE IT RHYME...

2:38 AM, June 16, 2005  
Blogger CJ said...

:) kiddin again

2:38 AM, June 16, 2005  
Blogger Akanksha said...

Do u realize how mean u r??

2:40 AM, June 16, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is such a gorgeous poem. Although, it made me want to cry out. Very well written indeed.
--jhanvi

3:39 AM, June 16, 2005  
Blogger uXuf said...

The sidenote on Meera was only for fun. You see, I am not an avid movie watcher, nor I have watched any Meera movie (including Nazar). But those pics were put up when this controversy was relatively new, and people had to see it to believe it. And since I was closely tracking my visitors, I saw that most of them werent directed to the right page, so goes the sidenote.

And about the poem, its simply, uhh, beautiful.. although I cant find the perfect words :(

12:23 PM, June 16, 2005  
Blogger Aditii said...

its really nice kinda highlights how so sensitive u r (and tht isnt always a bad thing)

6:15 AM, June 17, 2005  
Blogger Akanksha said...

Thanks everybody.

Aditii, this was 6 yrs back...I was very sensitive thn. Now, of course I've kinda worked on it. I hope it's working!!
;)

8:33 AM, June 17, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poetry in prose!

Beautifully written!

I feel sorry for your friend....but so long as she has a good friend like you....

:)

11:23 PM, June 17, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In fact there was something else I wanted to add...

I hope someday you realize that your sensitive nature is a gift that lets you reach out to people, to understand them better and see things from others eyes.

Dont try to crush it.....but yet dont let anyone exploit it.

There is a fine balance to be achieved.....and I hope truly hope you find it.

Hope this did not sound too philo!

LOL!

Have a great weekend

11:26 PM, June 17, 2005  
Blogger Akanksha said...

Thanks Alex!!

No matter how good a friend I am or for tht matter even her family is realli nice n all tht but if u ask me, I'm sure she'd prefer to hv her dad back in return of everything she has now. Who wouldn't?

I hope I find the balance you talk of, someday.

:)

3:23 AM, June 18, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are things in life whose void can never be filled.

But I guess knowing that there is someone who cares somehow makes life worth living.

5:27 AM, June 18, 2005  
Blogger Shubhi said...

its great....
how is she by the way......
anyways... it dusnt matter ho u r... the ppl who reakly matter wudnt care 2 much

10:34 AM, June 20, 2005  
Blogger Akanksha said...

Thanks Shubhi!!
Vasudha's doing just fine.

9:07 PM, June 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home