Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Of my little obsessions...

"The time has come,' the Walrus said,

'To talk of many things:
Of shoes - and ships - and sealing-wax -
Of cabbages - and kings -
And why the sea is boiling hot -
And whether pigs have wings."

I was going through my copies and from nowhere came a copy of fourth standard (that is of 6 years back). On the last page, I had scribbled this extract from the poem 'The Walrus and the Carpenter' written by Lewis Carroll. I tried very hard to remember why I had written it there. But it was of no use. Perhaps, few memories are erased with time.

However, I decided not to give up and kept thinking about it. Now, I finally remember and this victory is rightly sweet. The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph!

I remember having an Encarta encyclopedia at that time. It had this collage section, which I always loved. At one point of time, there wasn’t a thing that I didn’t remember of the children’s section collage. It had different animations on children’s books and poems. It specially stressed on Lewis Carroll’s works. There were different cartoon characters. My favorite being Winnie the Pooh. This and much more in a spread collage. I adored it, and even more, loved it. This extract had also been there with the various other things. I assume I would’ve scribbled it down just then.
I took out that CD only to find it in a non-functioning state. I had been so desperate about being able to make it work but I had to face tough luck there!

This was one of my childhood loves but an album of Princess Collection topped the list and perhaps, always will. It happened so that once some nice people had come to my school for a small competition. They showed us a board with some random fishes, promising a prize, and all we had to do was to count them. Considering that my class was a bright one, almost at once everybody raised their hands, ready to blurt out the number 13. They repeated this exercise in every section (we only had 4 in St. Thomas’) and the lucky 4 people’s name were put in a jar. A chit was taken out and the winner was from my class. It was Jada. She got a Walkman and this album in a cassette. Considering my age, I think I was about 8 years old or so, the album, which had a pink and silver cover with the leads of the most famous fairy tales, instantly fascinated me. There was Cinderella, Snow White, Jasmine and Ariel, the little mermaid.

The next few months saw me looking up for that album. I finally got it at Ebony, South Ex. The following years had me treasure that CD and I still love it. It’s fascinating songs can leave anyone enchanted. In simple and plain terms, I was obsessed and addicted to it. About a year back, I parted with that CD when I gave it to my cousin Sanya who is seven years of age. She is the only one; I can ever give my treasured possessions to. She is my darling. I hope she finds good use of it, just like I did.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you really write well:-)

1:35 AM, June 02, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice of you to do that.

Hope your cousin treasures this gift just as you did!

4:39 AM, June 02, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can't believe u still rememba all dat... i mean, whoaa, i dint fink ne1 otha than me wud hv chosen dat mo 2 hv an evalastin place in der memories... lol... dat is so kool... n u neva told me u went lookin 4 dat casette! newaiz, it's gud 2 noe dat u rememba all those tyms so well...

7:24 AM, June 02, 2005  
Blogger Akanksha said...

Thanks anonymous!

Alex, I hope so too. :)

Jadu, It's been so long. Haven't heard from u since 2 weeks I think. How did ur exams go? Are u done with them?
I remember every little thing of my life so far! My long term memoryfor such memories is particularly strong!
:)
And I thought I did tell u abt it one of these days. I admit not at tht time.
I guess we weren't friends at tht time, were we?
Do you remember the exact time when this happened?

8:17 AM, June 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home