Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Julius Caesar

Well, tomorrow, the recitation is supposed to be starting for our class. Sudeshna is taking them, this time and I don’t get a very good feeling about it. It’s kind of weird to recite in front of a teacher you’ve had for 2 long years and suddenly, she’s no more in the scene for one year. Or maybe it isn’t. I don’t know, can’t really decide. 33 ppl of 43 are reciting the famous speech of Antony, that he had said in the funeral of Caesar, from Shakespeare’s play Julius Caesar. And so am I.
I kind of mugged it up, it’s not as difficult a Shubhi thinks or yeah, it is. For my and only my practice, I’m putting the speech. I know all of you have it but pls bear with me.

Friends, romans and countrymen, lend me your ears.
I come to burry Caesar and not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them,
And the good is oft interred with their bones.
So let it be with Caesar.
The noble Brutus hath told you Caesar was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault;
And grieviously hath Caesar answered it.
Here underneath of Brutus and the rest, -
For Brutus is an honorable man;
Come I to speak in Caesar's funeral.
He was my friend, faithful and just to me:
But Brutus says he was ambitious;
And Brutus is an honorable man.
He hath brought many captives home to Rome,
Whose ransoms did the general coffers fill:
Did this in Caesar seem ambitious?
When that the poor have cried, Caesar hath wept;
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet Brutus says he was ambitious
And Brutus is an honorable man.
You all did see that on the lupercal.
I thrice presented him a kingly crown,
Which he did thrice refuse; was this ambition?

This of course, is not the complete speech. There is more to it. However, the line, both Shubhi and I can never forget is the on in bold. I love it. If you’ve read this play, you would know that Antony’s part is the best. His every dialogue is so well written.
Anyways, this is all I have to say for today.
Till tomorrow, I guess, signing off….

1 Comments:

Blogger Gursartaj said...

first of all its bury not burry
second, i love this speech of brutus'
..
theres something like if there were a brutus antony something like that...
ull have it in your course next year(im guessing ur in 9th).. last chapter.. pretty easy
ode to the west wind will be troublesome
anyways.. thats some cool stuff u guys have got here
Gursartaj

8:37 AM, February 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home