Saturday, May 06, 2006

My mom keeps telling me, the real world to be seen is through the eyes of those who dont have what we do. In the past 4 days, that is exactly what I did. I met to a few individuals, who in normal circumstances I wouldn't have been able to. I related to them at a level which even astounded my own mind.
Alot of my batch mates oohed and aahed at the beautiful houses and lushing green at a visit to the SOS Village. What most of them didn't see was the compassion in the eyes of each of the surrogate mothers. SOS Village runs on the concept of a mother taking care of 7-10 children in a home like environment. But these children are given a house to live in. A house made of stone. For the house to become a home is a challenge at a different level. So when I went there, I saw 20 homes, full of love.
Often people connect social service with money. Its true you need money for helping those who don't have it. But sometimes help is not just financial. Its inspirational, its faith, its belief. I consider myself to be quite compassionate but ir ealized i like most people live in ignorance too. Some years ago, Me and my sister were travelling in the car. We had stopped at a red light. A couple of children with unruly hair came and banged at the door. Aware of the beggars scandle I ignored. My sister quietly opened the window and gave them the rest of the packet of biscuits she had been eating. And then she told me "Yeah its true that it is a racket. But they are so small, its not by choice that they are driven into it." I opened my mouth to argue. She cut me off "don't give them money. Give them some water or something to eat. Keep a packet of biscuits in the car. U'll be surprised to know, how they are treated by their masters." And thats what I have done from then on.
Yes you need money to build institutions like CRY, Blind School. But you need compassion, belief faith and empathy to run them.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I supose you are right. But in todays world its difficult to be all that.

7:43 AM, May 08, 2006  
Blogger Aarushi said...

i agree with anonymous.
besides i dont no ny1 who carries biscuits in car 2 give 2 street children.

10:08 AM, May 08, 2006  
Blogger ThinkingWanderer said...

shubhi..
That was a nice post!..
I think the experience was great & agreed..most people do not do that,but if we try to help people & become even a little more compassionate towards them..we all CAN certainly make a difference.

10:41 AM, May 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home